Jeff Kuria, the 3o-year-old founder of Hafla Entertainment. Jeff Kuria is a MC,Actor, Radio Presenter, Director and Producer. On the Entertainment scene he is Best Known as a Radio Presenter working for Inooro fm, Kikuyu Radio station and Tv Station owned by Royal media Services.
Jeff’s journey started back in 2007 after finishing his college, when he took up a career as an actor for Kenya National Theatre and Mangoma Players. Sooner than later, he ventured into a career as a Radio Presenter which has enabled him to mingle and learn alot from many people, traversing many countries around the globe.
Growing up in Kiambu County,Kabete constituency now Kikuyu Constituency after the new Constitution,Young Kuria learnt a lot from his Grandparents especially his Grandmother who was a Business lady. She Introduced him into Business now known as Entrepreneurship at an early age and was able to understand the Profits and losses.They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and in this case they were absolutely right.
One day we went to Gikomba market and after selling managu’s and Terere’s for about ksh 200 I was able to purchase my first book which taught me a lot of lessons in Business (Rich Dad Poor Dad).
The Journey in Entrepreneurship for Jeff has been long, interesting and an eye opener to him as a Person, having done all types of Businesses from after school eg from Farming to selling Charcoal, Parafin, Boutique, Selling second hand clothes, CarHire, selling cars, Video Production to Photography.
Jeff’s Breakthrough came when he started Mceeing in Different Occasssions on 18th August 2007 when he was paid as an mc in a certain wedding in Ndumberi, Kiambu County. The Bride and the Groom had their own service provider for sound and Deejay even after intervening they dint listen to him,The DJ was playing his own songs and entertaining his own crew, after the wedding an old lady walked to where Jeff was seated and questioned him,
Kijana mlikosa wimbo hata mmoja ya harusi mumetuchokesha saana
This made him think about his Future in Business after trying to explain himself to her but his points fell on deaf ears which made him feel very guilty. Since being mc who is the overseer of any event, so if it goes wrong you take the blame that got him thinking really hard.
After attending a few events he noticed there was lack of Professionalism and they had a lot of events every weekend in Nairobi alone and after testing the market he noticed they needed more Professionals
Mine was very simple solve people’s problems as I make money and more of passion and getting quality service of course at a Price. I purchased my first Sound Equipments Speakers,Microphones,Mixer and Deejay players. And I started giving a package for all weddings inclusive of Mc,Dj and sound.
As the Brainchild of Hafla Entertainment, his company started from Doing one event every weekend to doing more than 10 events every weekend,and as they say the rest is history
Along the way he has met a lot of Business people such as S K Macharia, Danson Muchemi of Jambo Pay, Vimal Shah, George Wachiuri and also learnt a lot of things like Network marketing through joining BNI East Africa and also Events Companies in Nairobi. To Top it up, he enrolled and graduated with a Course in Entrepreneurship with Centonomy and since then, he has a Mentor who walks with him every step of the Way and advices him on how to go through his business.
Despite his successes, Jeff Kuria made some missteps and experieced Hard learnt lessons along the way. Looking back, he shares his lessons learned, ranging from starting out as actor to a Radio Presenter to now owning his own Entertainment company, Hafla Entertainment.
The Kenyan Mindset
- Over the Years people and especially in Kenya dint know more about paying for services offered and it has been very hard for us in Service Industry many are the times we have done events and the clients have either refused to pay or they go missing after the service has been delivered. Most of us believe in Tangibles eg a Product but not a Service.
- It has been a challenge and especially for our Staff who need their money at the end of every month,another thing is about getting good workers who are committed to work,this is more of Team Work than any other thing.
- Most of the workers don’t understand the need of retaining the older customers and looking for new customers as well.
The Hidden Truth
- We also have a lot of Quacks in the Industry and people opt for those because they are cheap. As one of our Technicians would say sound doesn’t mean that it’s the mics and the speakers it entails a lot of fundamentals clarity and audibility.
- In addition, We also have a lot of thieves stealing equipments either in offices or on Location so there is need to Insure your Expensive equipments and most of them pretend to be customers and they give good offer that you cant resist.
The Digital Age
- Marketing has also been a very huge challenge to us and especially in the Digital Era Facebook,Twitter,Instagram,goggle plus,Pinterest,Linkedin etc.
The Price Tag
- Price has also been a challenge to most of the Clients just because they don’t know the meaning of quality services.
- To give quality services to our Customers and Especially here in Nairobi and the remaining 46 Counties in Kenya.
- To have advanced equipments in our Company (Hafla Entertainment)
- Have disruptive ideas as well so as to grow our Company to be the Best in Kenya
- My advice to Upcoming Entrepreneurs just know why you want to be in business whether to is to solve problems,passion or make money.
- Have strategies in your company and look for people whom you have common objectives.
- When hiring look at what the person is cabable of doing rather than the Papers
- Have a Mentor.
Thanks for dropping by Jeff Kuria’s Entrepreneurial Journey, the Founder and Ceo of Hafla Entertainment, an Events Company which is a sound solution Company providing Sound, Deejays, Lights, Deco and Stages. Finally, If you are looking for the best Mc’s in town, look no further or shout out @JeffKuria