7 DAYS MARSABIT – LAKE TURKANA FESTIVAL
ACTUAL FESTIVAL DATES: 4TH – 6TH MAY 2017
The Marsabit – Lake Turkana Cultural Festival will take place in Loyangalani town on the shores of the awe-inspiring Jade Sea.
The event will feature unique performances and cultural traditions of 14 ethnic communities which live in Marsabit County: El Molo, Rendille, Samburu, Turkana, Dassanatch, Gabra, Borana, Konso, Sakuye, Garee, Waata, Burji and Somali. The presentation of the customs and living conditions of the fourteen tribes, their spectacular traditional costumes, arts and crafts, dances and music is a unique and fascinating experience in particular in light of the stunning geographical characteristics and the limited general knowledge about the Lake Turkana and Marsabit County.
This event will be co-organized by the County Government of Marsabit, Local Community Festival Committee, Kenya Tourism Board, National Museums of Kenya and Kenya Wildlife Service.
This is an adventurous 8-day camping tour with emphasis on the festival event in Loiyangalani.
ITINERARY AT A GLANCE
DAY1: TUESDAY 2ND MAY NAIROBI – SAMBURU
- Early morning departure from our central point in Nairobi city to Samburu.
- Enjoy lunch en-route before arriving at Samburu National Reserve in the afternoon, with en-route game-drive. Samburu is a semi-arid ecosystem that teems with a host of wildlife endemic to the northern part of Kenya. Chief among them being, reticulated giraffe, gravy zebra, oryx, Somali ostrich and gerenuk (the gazelle with the longest neck) among others. Apart from the endemic species, elephants, buffaloes, gazelles, crocodiles, impalas, lions, dik-diks, elusive cheetahs and leopards are also found here.
- Dinner and overnight stay at the park.
Meal plan: Lunch, Dinner.
DAY2: WEDNESDAY 3RD MAY SAMBURU – LAISAMIS
- Very early morning game drive at 6.30 am
- Return to the camp at 9.30 am for breakfast
- Break camp at 10.00 am
- Depart the camp with en-route game-drive, if time permits we can visit the Samburu Village.
- Arrive Laisamis Camp late in the afternoon
- Setup camp for overnight
Meal plan: Breakfast, Lunch, dinner.
DAY 3: THURSDAY 4TH MAY LAISAMIS – LOIYANGALANI
- Immediately after breakfast break camp and head to Loiyangalani
- Arrive in the afternoon
- Have late lunch
- Dinner and Overnight stay at the camp
Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
DAY 4 & 5 (FRIDAY 5th & SATURDAY 6th MAY) – LOIYANGANI CULTURAL FESTIVAL
- The next 2 days will be spent with the local communities exhibiting their culture and you will get a chance to interact with them as well as learn about their culture.
DAY6: SUNDAY 7TH MAY LOIYANGALANI – SAMBURU CAMP
- Very early breakfast in anticipation of another long but scenic drive, to arrive camp in the afternoon.
- Setup camp for overnight
Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
DAY 7: MONDAY 8TH MAY SAMBURU CAMP – NAIROBI
- Early morning breakfast
- Break camp and head to Nairobi.
- Arrive in the late evening
Meal plan: Breakfast
Non-resident rate USD 550 per person sharing
Resident rate KSH 40,000 per person sharing
Citizen rate KSH45,000 per person sharing
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE RATE:
- Transport by an over land safari truck
- Game drive at Samburu National Reserve
- Services of professional speaking driver, guide and cook
- All camp site fees
- Cooking and camping equipment including use of our two-person tents (each tent shared by 2 people), stools, foam mattresses
- 3 Meals per day
- Participation in the festival at Loyangalani
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED IN THE RATE:
- Park entrance fees at Samburu
- Optional activities as indicated e.g. boat rides on Lake Turkana, camel ride, hire of local guides etc.
- Personal travel / Medical insurance
- Sleeping bags / blankets / pillows
- Lunch on the last day
- All personal expenses and toiletries; e.g. additional mineral water, beverages & toiletries
WHAT TO BRING
- Mosquito repellent and anti-malarial pills
- Identification Card or International passport
- Small blanket, sheet and a pillow
- Sleeping bag.
- Rack sack
- Health insurance
- Sense of respect to country laws, people and culture.
- Money for personal drinks and optional activities and excursions
- Tips for road crew
- Credit or debit cards NB; VISA – best option.
- Prescription drugs you may be taking.
- Motion sickness pills
- Sleeping bags / blankets
- Sense of adventure
This is not a physically demanding trip but travelling can be difficult, with very long drives and poor road conditions at times. Despite this, most clients feel the diversity of Kenyan landscapes.
All destinations in this tour will be camp sites and as such all clients will be sharing dome tents which accommodate 2 people, singles will be paired with same gender travelers and should share tents.
The camps have flush toilets (with some exceptions) and showers at some camps are out-door, having simple closure for privacy.
It is advisable to travel light, our kind request is that our clients carry small medium sized bags so that they can fit into the truck, each truck accommodates 23 to 25 clients hence space is limited. For our camping style tours, you will need to provide your own sleeping bag, small sheet and pillow.
Majority of the shopping for food stuffs will be done before the trip departs and fresh goods, such as meats, fruits, vegetables and dairy products, will be bought en-route during the trip from supermarkets, local shops, and markets. Breakfasts will generally consist of breads, cereal, if time allows a warm breakfast maybe prepared. Many lunches will be provided en-route and will be light meals such as sandwiches and salads.
All evening meals will be freshly prepared hot meals, and will consist of a variety of continental and local dishes. Our cooks will organize the meal preparations and LEAD the way here. Special dietary requirements need to specified prior to departure.
NB: all bottled water will be at your own expense.
It should be noted that this is a group tour and hence all preferences are based on group rather than individuals, wake up time, stop overs will be based on the Tour Leader decisions to facilitate and ensure a smooth trip, the number of stops and time given to clients will be group timings so as not to delay other people. All meals will be group meals and not individual requests.
Departure times and arrival times
Departure times will be as early as 0600 hrs due to the long drives. Clients are required to wake up early.
Pickup and drop off
At the start of the tour all clients will be picked up at 0600 hrs at a particular specified point and on the last day at the same specified point. Punctuality must be observed.
Pay KShs 5,000 to book your slot.
NB: The booking fee is used to secure bookings with our ground suppliers. It is Non-refundable.
M-Pesa Till Number: 717611